Latest Badminton News and Articles

Indian Open badminton put off over security concerns

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News Published: 28 August 2007
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 1512
NEW DELHI (Reuters) - An International badminton event scheduled in Hyderabad has been postponed due to security concerns after bombs killed 40 people in the southern IT hub at the weekend, national coach Pullela Gopichand said on Tuesday.

"It has been postponed and has been tentatively fixed for the second week of January," Gopichand told Reuters.

The $150,000 Indian Open championship had been scheduled from Sept. 4-9, but doubts arose following Saturday's blasts, which have been blamed on Islamist militant groups based in Bangladesh or Pakistan.

Gopichand said the decision was taken after discussions with Badminton World Federation vice-president Punch Gunalan.

Indian media had reported that Malaysian players had raised security concerns.

"He wanted players' concerns to be taken into consideration and so we took this decision."

  • No comments found

Facebook

Twitter

Google Plus

Replays: India Open 2015

2015 India Open Badminton Videos

Watch Replays

Related Badminton News

  • Recent News
  • Popular
Lee Chong Wei's timely donation saves the life of a 6-month-old baby

Kuala Lumpur: Lee Chong Wei who has been actively involved i

Lee Chong Wei's BWF hearing set for April 11

Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian badminton star Lee Chong Wei will ma

Yoo Yeon-Seong marries girlfriend Eriko Tsuchiya

Seoul: World number one men's doubles player Yoo Yeon-Seong

Lin Dan joins torch relay for 2014 Youth Olympics

Nanjing: Two times Olympic gold medalist Lin Dan was one of

Carolina Marin Receives Sport Merit Royal Order

Madrid: The winner of 2014 BWF Badminton World Championships

Video: Badminton is the most "dangerous" sport on earth

Hanoi: Thanks to the quick work of a match referee, no-one w

Recommended badminton news for you