By Simon Baskett
Madrid - Defending world champion Taufik Hidayat must wait until Saturday at the earliest to learn his fate for storming out of last month's Hong Kong Open, the International Badminton Federation (IBF) said on Monday. In an unprecedented incident in top-class badminton, the Indonesian walked out of his quarter-final against arch-rival and Olympic champion Lin Dan at the Hong Kong Open just three minutes into the game in protest at a changed line-call.
"I have carried out a full investigation into the incident and presented my findings to the Executive Board," said Paisan Rangsikitpho, the tournament director in Hong Kong and chair of the IBF Events Committee.
"They (the Events Committee) will meet on Saturday to discuss it further. We would not want to take any action which harms his chances, especially in a tournament where he is the defending men's singles champion."
The IBF said if Hidayat reached the semi-finals they would postpone a decision until after he exited the tournament.
The fiery Indonesian, whose inconsistent form means he is ranked a lowly 31 and is unseeded in Madrid, begins his bid to retain his world title against 13th-seeded Ng Wei of Hong Kong on Tuesday.