Latest Badminton News and Articles

Chong Wei may get a break, thanks to injury (pic)

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News Published: 11 November 2013
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 267

KUALA LUMPUR: World No. 1 singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei’s participation in all international tournaments until the end of the year is now on hold after an old injury returned to haunt him.

The 31-year-old Chong Wei is slated to participate in the China Open starting on Wednesday in Shanghai, followed by the Hong Kong Open from Nov 19-24. He is also expected to take part in the BWF’s World Super Series Finals in Kuala Lumpur from Dec 10-15.

The pain on his ankle is causing Chong Wei discomfort. Lee Chong Wei (right) seen here being comforted by China's Lin Dan after the former suffered serious cramping in the final of the World Championships in August, may finally get some much needed rest as a niggling ankle injury may see him skip the final three tournaments of the year.

“I feel the throbbing pain in the same ankle area which I injured during the Thomas Cup Finals (in Wuhan) last year. It is affecting me during training,” said Chong Wei.

“It has been a hectic year for me and I think I am finally feeling the pinch. Maybe I have pushed myself too hard and this may have put a lot of strain on my ankle.”

Chong Wei suffered an ankle injury during the Finals in Wuhan during the tie against Denmark when he landed awkwardly in a match against Peter-Gade Christensen.

It took him 65 days to recover from it, thanks to an amazing rehabilitation programme closely monitored by the National Sports Institute (NSI). He made a remarkable comeback at the London Olympic Games where he went down fighting to Lin Dan of China in the final.

Chong Wei said he would discuss his participation in the last three tournaments for the year with the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM).

“I am not sure now whether I will be able to compete in these tournaments. First of all, I need to look into this pain on my ankle and see whether it can be managed in the next two days,” he said.

He was scheduled to fly to Shanghai on Monday for the China Open.

The two-time Olympic Games silver medallist has recently been lamenting his tight schedule, saying he needed a break. He wanted to rest and come back refreshed and recharged for the new season next year so that he could focus on several major tournaments – namely the Thomas Cup Finals, Asian Games and World Championships.

For the record, Chong Wei has played in a total of 11 tournaments this year and won five Super Series titles in South Korea, Malaysia, India, Indonesia and Japan. He has also competed in three leagues – in Indonesia, India and China.

He played in two major events – World Championships in Guangzhou and the Sudirman Cup in Kuala Lumpur. At the world meet, he went down to Lin Dan in the final while in the Sudirman Cup, he won all his matches but Malaysia failed to go beyond the group stage.

  • No comments found

Facebook

Twitter

Google Plus

YouTube

Replays: Sudirman Cup 2015

2015 Sudirman Cup badminton video

Watch Replays

  • Recent News
  • Popular
SEA Games: Chong Wei Feng in quarters, Goh V Shem/Tan Wee Kiong exit

Singapore: Malaysia's singles shuttlers Chong Wei Feng, Moha

Koo Kien Keat & Tan Boon Heong win Sri Lanka International Challenge

Colombo: Malaysia's former world No. 1 men's doubles Koo Kie

Life after PBSI for Sony Dwi Kuncoro

Jakarta: Once a promising badminton player, Sony Dwi Kuncoro

Lin Dan joins torch relay for 2014 Youth Olympics

Nanjing: Two times Olympic gold medalist Lin Dan was one of

Video: Badminton is the most "dangerous" sport on earth

Hanoi: Thanks to the quick work of a match referee, no-one w

Carolina Marin Receives Sport Merit Royal Order

Madrid: The winner of 2014 BWF Badminton World Championships

Recommended badminton news for you