India's most successful women badminton player Saina Nehwal on Tuesday (March 24) brought to fore yet another incident of government apathy towards athletes, saying she was yet to receive the Rs 20 lakh cash award promised to her by the Andhra Pradesh state government in October last year.
"I have not received the award yet. It's really disgusting. I can't afford to run after them for the money which I deserve," a disappointed Saina said after her practice session at the Gachchibowli Stadium on Tuesday. The World number 9 Indian said she was not even interested in pursuing her case anymore.
"Initially, I had tried to contact the authorities but then no one gave me any definite answers. They just kept telling that I will get it but when no body knows," she said. Saina, who is preparing for the World Championship to be held in Hyderabad in August this year, is not taking the Indian Open, which begins on Wednesday (March 25), lightly either despite some pull outs.
"The draw is good, it will be a tough tournament. There are some good players like Julia (Pei Xian Wong), Maria (Kristin Yulianti) and others. Each of them is good," she said.
Saina will face unseeded Chew Yen Daphane Ng of Malaysia in the first round.