×

Warning

Error loading library: joomla, Library not found

Error loading library: joomla, Library not found

Error loading library: joomla, Library not found

Latest Badminton News and Articles

Feeling Underappreciated, 3 More Shuttlers Leave National Camp

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 11 February 2009
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 644

A change in regime at the Indonesian Badminton Association, or PBSI, apparently did little to halt its steady tide of problems.

After men’s singles stalwart Taufik Hidayat withdrew from the national training camp in late January, three more national shuttlers decided to join him in striking on their own. Vita Marissa, Alvent Yulianto Chandra and Hendra Aprida Gunawan pulled out of the camp in Cipayung, East Jakarta, on Tuesday, leaving just 35 players in the camp.

The trio said they will no longer play for the PBSI, citing contractual reasons.

Vita, 27, said she wanted a 20 percent increase on her current deal. But negotiations with the association broke down since her world ranking slipped to 44th after partnering with Muhammad Rijal in mixed doubles for the last five months. The PBSI uses world rankings to determine a player or a pair’s contract value.

“The contract value was still the same as the one PBSI offered [to me] last year,” Vita said after she handed her resignation letter to PBSI head of athletes’ development Lius Pongoh. “I’ve been in camp for 12 years and represented the country in many international tournaments. If I demand a raise, I think it’s fair enough.”

Vita previously teamed up with Flandy Limpele, climbing as high as fourth in the world and reaching the semifinals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics. In partnering with Rijal, Vita said she sacrificed her future to help the PBSI develop young players in mixed doubles. “If I wanted to secure my rank, I would play with Flandy,” Vita said. “But I didn’t mind partnering with Rijal. Now look what I’ve got. They failed to appreciate me.”

Though she plans to continue playing, Vita does not have a partner and has not approached any sponsors. She said she would consider teaming up with Flandy again or returning to camp if the PBSI agreed to renegotiate.

Mixed doubles coach Richard Mainaky said Vita’s departure would have an impact on the team and her fellow shuttlers.

“We still need a high-class player like [Vita] to play for Indonesia in one or two years more, even in the London Olympics in 2012,” he said.

 

Badminton authorities should learn from BCCI: Padukone

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 11 February 2009
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 579
Indore, Feb 11 (PTI) Badminton officials in the country can learn a thing or two about marketing from the BCCI, said the legendary Prakash Padukone as he lauded the cricket body for the way it has promoted the game in the country.
"I have always been a fan of the BCCI and the manner in which it markets cricket surely deserves to be praised," Padukone told reporters here today.

 

Kido `settles contract' with PBSI, back at training camp

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 11 February 2009
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 730

Top shuttler Markis Kido was back practicing on Tuesday at the national training camp in Jakarta, after resolving a contract dispute with the Badminton Association of Indonesia (PBSI) that saw him quit training over the weekend.

"I'm back training today after being absent from Saturday to Monday. We've settled our differences, mainly on the value of my contract," Kido, who plays in the men's doubles with Hendra Setiawan, told The Jakarta Post.

Kido had announced his departure from the camp, saying the PBSI had acted "in an offensive manner" in response to his query over the contract and had told him the sum was non-negotiable. Also jumping ship were his brother Bona Septono and sister Pia Zebaidah.

"They could've avoided this if they had not used some kind of compulsion. They called me up on Monday evening and we've agreed on the value. I guess it was just miscommunication," he said.

He added that his siblings, doubles player Bona and singles player Pia, had also returned to camp.

Kido and Hendra, ranked No. 1 in the world, won the men's doubles titles at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and the 2007 world championships.

 

Euro victory for Cann and England (pic)

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 11 February 2009
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 960
JERSEY’S Elizabeth Cann, pictured, clinched a comfortable victory for England in their European Badminton Team Championships opener in Liverpool last night.

With England leading the Czech Republic 2-0 at the Echo Arena, three-times national champion Cann battled her way to a 21-17, 21-19 victory over Kristina Ludikova.

Group 8 favourites England went on to complete a 5-0 victory and will now face Wales, 4-1 losers against Scotland last night, this evening.

Jersey’s other representative in the England squad, doubles player Mariana Agathangelou, will be hoping to make her European bow either tonight or against Scotland tomorrow night.

 
Comment (0) Hits: 960

Injured Saina targets comeback in All England (pic)

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 10 February 2009
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 743
A shoulder injury may have forced Saina Nehwal to skip the  National Badminton championships but the ace shuttler is hoping to be back on court at the All England Super Series to be held from March 3 to 8.
 
"I was feeling a slight pain since last May but I ignored it and kept on playing. And it was during last month's Korean Super Series that I aggravated my injury.
 
"But I didn't think the injury was so bad and it was only yesterday morning when physio Heath Matthews examined me that he suggested that it would be better if I skip the nationals or else it might affect my chances of playing in tournaments later in the year. I just want to get back in shape before the All England Super Series. I am really looking forward to playing in the tournament,".
 
Saina has been advised two weeks' rest by Heath and the 19-year-old is following it by heart.
 
"I'm just running and doing other exercises but I am not doing anything at the moment that involves moving my right shoulder. I will be out of action for the next 2-3 weeks," said the world number 10.
 

Facebook

Twitter

Google Plus

Replays: India Open 2015

2015 India Open Badminton Videos

Watch Replays

Related Badminton News

  • Recent News
  • Popular
Chan Peng Soon-Goh Liu Ying fall short at the Orleans International

Orleans: Malaysian mixed doubles pair Chan Peng Soon-Goh Liu

Malaysian Open: Zulfadli Zulkifli saves the day for Malaysia

Kuala Lumpur: The 2011 BWF world junior champion Zulfadli Zu

Lee Chong Wei's timely donation saves the life of a 6-month-old baby

Kuala Lumpur: Lee Chong Wei who has been actively involved i

Lin Dan joins torch relay for 2014 Youth Olympics

Nanjing: Two times Olympic gold medalist Lin Dan was one of

Video: Badminton is the most "dangerous" sport on earth

Hanoi: Thanks to the quick work of a match referee, no-one w

Carolina Marin Receives Sport Merit Royal Order

Madrid: The winner of 2014 BWF Badminton World Championships

Recommended badminton news for you