Latest Badminton News and Articles

Mum is Tago’s inspiration

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 13 August 2009
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 1094

FORMER Asian junior champion Kenichi Tago is fast gaining the tag as the giant-killer in his debut in the World Championships.

And he attributes the success to his mother, Yoshiko Yonekura.

Yesterday, the 20-year-old defeated Germany’s top shuttler Marc Zwiebler 21-15, 21-10 to check into the third round. The previous day, he beat seventh seed Joachim Persson of Denmark for his biggest career win thus far.

Tago will take on Indonesian Si­­mon Santoso today for a place in the quarter-finals and he is hoping to continue his fairy-tale run.

“My mother was a national player and she did quite well in badminton. She is an inspiration to me,” he said.

Yonekura was a two-time doubles runner-up at the All-England and a semi-finalist in the World Championships.

Since winning the Asian junior title in 2006, Tago has been struggling to find his footing on the big stage.

“I am playing well here and my net play has improved. I think this has been the key to my good showing in this tournament,” he said.

On his match against Simon, he said: “I will still be going in as the underdog but it will be great if I can continue my good run here.”

 
Comment (0) Hits: 1094

Lee Chong Wei, Zhou Mi advance at badminton worlds (pic)

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 12 August 2009
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 601

HYDERABAD, India -- Men's top seed Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia moved into the round of 16 at the badminton world championships with a 21-11, 21-14 win over Nigeria's Ola Fagbemi on Wednesday. Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei competes against Germany's Dieter Domke, unseen, during the World Badminton Championships, in Hyderabad, India, Monday, Aug. 10, 2009.

Lee, the world's No.1-ranked player and silver medalist at last year's Olympics, set up a third-round clash with Vietnam's Tien Minh Nguyen, who ousted France's Brice Leverdez 21-14, 21-16.

In other men's singles matches early in Wednesday's play, third-seeded Dane Peter Gade advanced with a 21-11, 21-12 victory over Japan's Sho Sasaki and Indonesian sixth-seeded Sony Dwi Kuncoro also moved on with a 21-12, 21-13 defeat of Poland's Przemyslaw Wacha.

The women's No.1 seed Zhou Mi of Hong Kong also advanced, defeating New Zealand's Michelle Chan Ky.

 
Comment (0) Hits: 601

Chong Wei, Choong Hann Advance, Mew Choo Falters In Hyderabad

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 12 August 2009
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 534

HYDERABAD, Aug 12  -- Malaysia's top women's singles player Wong Mew Choo failed to tame petite Japanese Al Goto and crashed out in the second round of the women's singles in the Yonex-Sunrise World Badminton Championship here Wednesday.

Mew Choo easily pocketed the first set 21-18 but failed to keep the pace when Goto dragged her into long rallies and was forced to give up in the second match 12- 21.

However, in the decider, Mew Choo managed to level several times despite trailing but succumbed to the more energetic Japanese player in 21-23.

"I did not have the stamina, I felt tired and lost focus. I could not stand her long rallies and made several mistakes during the crucial points," Mew Choo told reporters after the match.

However, both the Malaysian men's singles players made up for the loss in the afternoon, when world's top men's singles player Datuk Lee Chong Wei and Wong Choong Hann defeated their opponents to advance to the third round.

 

Saina Nehwal Defeats Russian Prokopenko in World Badminton Tournament

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 12 August 2009
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 530

Aug 12, 2009: Ace shuttler Saina Nehwal began her campaign at the World badminton championship on a winning note defeating Russian Anstasia Prokopenko in straight sets.

Saina defeated Prokopenko 21-10, 21-17.

Saina, who was down with chicken pox just a few days before the beginning of the tournament, showed no signs of fatigue during the match.

 

Two Austrian players quietly slip away from World Badminton

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 12 August 2009
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 485

Hyderabad: Two Austrian players have pulled out of the World Badminton Championships and quietly left the city without informing the organisers.

The players, Juargen Koch and Peter Zauner, are surmised to have feared security threat and swine flu.

A Badminton World Federation (BWF) official told IANS that the two players have indeed left Tuesday evening without giving any reason.

 

Facebook

Twitter

Google Plus

Replays: All England 2015

2015 All England Badminton Videos

Watch Replays

Related Badminton News

  • Recent News
  • Popular
Viktor Axelsen: Learning mandarin is important for career

By Rod Gilmour England: Denmark's Viktor Axelsen is living

Yoo Yeon-Seong marries girlfriend Eriko Tsuchiya

Seoul: World number one men's doubles player Yoo Yeon-Seong

Lin Dan's wax figure switches over to YONEX, too

Shanghai: After Lin Dan officially signed a multi-year spons

Video: Badminton is the most "dangerous" sport on earth

Hanoi: Thanks to the quick work of a match referee, no-one w

Lin Dan joins torch relay for 2014 Youth Olympics

Nanjing: Two times Olympic gold medalist Lin Dan was one of

Carolina Marin Receives Sport Merit Royal Order

Madrid: The winner of 2014 BWF Badminton World Championships

Recommended badminton news for you