Latest Badminton News and Articles

Saina to miss China Masters

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 21 August 2009
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 1146

Hyderabad, Aug 21: Badminton star Saina Nehwal will not participate in the China Masters Open due to negligence on part of the Badminton Association of India (BAI), who forgot to send her entry for the tournament on time.

The World Number seven expressed disappointment over her missing the tournament.

“We actually sent it one day later, and it was not accepted. It is really a sad thing because I played semis there last year and ya I’ll be losing some of my ranking points. Nothing can be done now, I just have to train and get my points back by playing tournaments after that,” said Nehwal.

The China Masters Super Series Badminton Tournament will be played from September 15-20. (ANI)

 
Comment (0) Hits: 1146

Bleak prospects loom over Indonesia's badminton future

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 21 August 2009
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 629

Indonesia's failure to win any titles at the recent world championships in Hyderabad, India, in stark contrast to the Chinese squad's formidable performance, has rung an alarm bell about more poor showings still to come.

Taufik Hidayat and the team returned home empty-handed, while China took four of the five titles up for grabs - three of them in all-Chinese finals. Denmark took one title to prevent the whitewash.

Taufik, who quit the national training camp in January to play independently, already looks a shadow of his winning self in 2005.

Sony Dwi Kuncoro chalked up a shock defeat over world No. 1 and top seed Lee Chong Wei, but at the end was not good enough.

Nova Widianto and Liliyana Natsir, coming to Hyderabad as the defending mixed doubles champions, slugged their way to the final only to be stopped by the underdog Danes.

Despite the debacle, the Badminton Association of Indonesia (PBSI) remains upbeat.

 

Anand, Bhat go down in Macau Open quarters

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 21 August 2009
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 1016

NEW DELHI: India's Chetan Anand and Arvind Bhat went down to Malaysian opponents in the men's singles quarter-finals of Macau Open badminton tournament
on Friday.
Chetan, seeded seventh, lost to top seed Lee Chong Wei 10-21, 14-21.

National champion Arvind Bhat fought hard but eventually ran out of steam, losing a gruelling quarter-final against Choong Hann Wong to crash out of the event.

Arvind, seeded 10th, came from behind to pocket the second game but run out of steam in the end to go down 19-21, 21-18, 6-21 to fourth seed Malaysian Choong in a 52-minute battle.

Choong grabbed 29 smash points and 17 net winners compared to Arvind's 16 and eight respectively.

The Malaysian opened a six point lead at 6-0 and even though Arvind came back to lead at 7-6, Choong held his nerve in crucial moments and marched ahead with four straight points to eventually seal the game.

 
Read More Comment (0) Hits: 1016

Sweet revenge for Wan Wah-Tan Fook

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 21 August 2009
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 1258

PETALING JAYA: Seasoned doubles campaigners Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah avenged last week’s World Championships first round defeat to Howard Bach-Tony Gunawan in style by beating the Americans in straight games to enter the quarter-finals of the Macau Open last night.

Wan Wah-Tan Fook, who lost to the 2005 world champions in rubber games last week, turned the tables this time for a 21-15, 21-17 win in just 21 minutes.

The second seeded Malaysians will face South Koreans Hwang Ji-man-Kim Ki-jung, who ousted Indone­sian siblings and sixth seeds Candra Wijaya-Rendra Wijaya 24-22, 15-21, 21-11.

Wan Wah said they had done their homework well after they were humbled by the American top pair, who went on to reach the quarter-finals in Hyderabad.

 
Read More Comment (0) Hits: 1258

Little Lindaweni Makes Mark In Macau Badminton Battle

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 19 August 2009
Posted by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 619

Lindaweni Fanetri bowed out of the Macau Grand Prix Gold on Wednesday, but she did not go without a fight.

The Indonesian qualifier forced women’s singles top seed Zhou Mi of Hong Kong to three games before losing 18-21, 21-19, 21-15 in a 65-minute marathon.

Lindaweni, 19, had match point in her sights after pulling level at 19 in Game 2, but she could not make the most of her serve and Zhou fought back to even up the match.

Indonesia also suffered a pair of defeats in men’s doubles. Fernando Kurniawan and Lingga Lie bowed out after losing 24-22, 21-17 to China’s Chai Biao and Zhang Nan, and Luluk Hadiyanto and Joko Riyadi fell 21-19, 21-18 to fifth seeds Sun Junjie and Tao Jiaming of China.

 

Facebook

Twitter

Google Plus

Replays: India Open 2015

2015 India Open Badminton Videos

Watch Replays

Related Badminton News

  • Recent News
  • Popular
Lee Chong Wei's timely donation saves the life of a 6-month-old baby

Kuala Lumpur: Lee Chong Wei who has been actively involved i

Yoo Yeon-Seong marries girlfriend Eriko Tsuchiya

Seoul: World number one men's doubles player Yoo Yeon-Seong

Lee Chong Wei 'would quit' if suspended for doping (video)

By Jennifer Pak Malaysia's national hero, Lee Chong Wei, sa

Lin Dan joins torch relay for 2014 Youth Olympics

Nanjing: Two times Olympic gold medalist Lin Dan was one of

Carolina Marin Receives Sport Merit Royal Order

Madrid: The winner of 2014 BWF Badminton World Championships

Video: Badminton is the most "dangerous" sport on earth

Hanoi: Thanks to the quick work of a match referee, no-one w

Recommended badminton news for you