Latest Badminton News and Articles

All England Troubles Follow Shuttlers to Swiss Open

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 12 March 2009
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 514

Indonesia’s European hangover continued on Wednesday.

In keeping with their disappointing results at the All England, the country’s shuttlers continued bowing out early at the Swiss Open Super Series, with half of Indonesia’s entries taking the exit door in the first round at Basel’s St. Jakobshall.

The Indonesian Badminton Association, or PBSI, set a quarterfinal target for all of its national shuttlers before they left for England. Lius Pongoh, the PBSI head of player development, said players who fell short of that mark would undergo a six-week retraining program at the national camp before they’re allowed to compete in other tournaments.

“So I think there will be a lot of national team players that will not compete at the Asian Championship next month,” Lius told state-run news agency Antara, referring to the tournament that will be held on April 7-12 in Suwon, South Korea.

Men’s singles shuttler Simon Santoso duplicated his All England first-round exit, losing 21-12, 14-21, 21-19 to Wong Choong Hann. The story was the same in the women’s singles, where Adrianti Firdasari fell 17-21, 21-19, 21-12 to No. 4 seed Pi Hongyan of France and Pia Zebadiah Bernadet lost 21-15, 21-15 to Japan’s Megumi Taruno.

Men’s doubles was not immune, either. Muhammad Ahsan and Bona Septano, who reached the All England quarterfinals, suffered a two-set loss to China, while Yonathan Suryatama Dasuki and Rian Sukmawan also fell in two sets to Japan.

The country’s main hope for titles now rests in mixed and women’s doubles. Top seeds Nova Widianto and Liliyana Natsir reached the second round, as did Devin Lahardi Fitriawan and Lita Nurlita. Both pairs’ second-round matches finished after press time.

 
Comment (0) Hits: 514

Beng Hong gets two chances more to prove worth in national team (pic)

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 12 March 2009
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 784

PETALING JAYA: The writing is on the wall for shuttler Kuan Beng Hong. His days in the national team are numbered after failing to make the main draw of the Swiss Open in Basel on Tuesday.

Beng Hong started with a 21-19, 21-10 win over France’s Mathieu Lo but stumbled to an 11-21, 21-14, 15-21 defeat by Lithuania’s Kestutis Navickas in the final qualifying match. He also failed to make the grade from the All-England qualifying tournament last week, losing to Anup Sridhar of India.Writing on the wall: Kuan Beng Hong has been given an ultimatum to buck up fast.

And his latest performance against Navickas, who is the only badminton player from his country registered with the Badminton World Federation, has not gone down well with singles coach Misbun Sidek.

“Beng Hong was not feeling well at the All-England but that was a week ago. It is a disappointing show from him when I expected him to do better than this,” said Misbun.

 

No joy for coach Rexy as his charges exit in the last eight

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 12 March 2009
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 465

PETALING JAYA: One pair played it safe, the other lived dangerously.

But the end result was the same — a quarter-final exit for Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif in the men’s doubles of the All-England badminton championships in Birmingham on Friday.

Hopes were high on third seeds Kien Keat-Boon Heong to win their second All-England title but they went down 7-21, 17-21 to a fired-up Mathias Boe-Carsten Mogensen of Denmark.

In the other error-strewn match, Fairuzizuan-Zakry crashed 9-21, 20-22 to South Koreans Hwang Ji-man-Han Sang-hoon.

Both the Malaysian pairs got off to horrendous starts in their opening games. They then tried to salvage some pride in the second game but in vain.

 

It’s all in the mind from now on, Rexy tells Koo-Tan, Fairuz-Zakry

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 12 March 2009
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 520

PETALING JAYA: Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif can make it to the men’s doubles semi-finals of the All-England badminton championships if they can stand up to their opponents’ intimidation.

National doubles chief coach Rexy Mainaky believes it will be all about psychological warfare from the quarter-final stage onwards.

Third seeds Kien Keat-Boon Heong lived up to expectations when they reached the quarter-finals after defeating compatriots Gan Teik Chai-Tan Bin Shen 21-18, 21-14 in just 30 minutes in Birmingham on Thursday.

The 2007 All-England champions will take on Denmark’s Mathias Boe-Carsten Morgensen for a place in the last four.

 

HCM City to defend title at nationals (pic)

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 12 March 2009
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 938

VietNamNet Bridge – Defending champions HCM City will face fierce battles against the Ha Noi and Army teams at the National Team Badminton Championship Dong Luc Cup from March 17-21.

Ha Noi, under Chinese coach Yang Ya Ping, will head to the tournament with an elite squad of new players, while the Army will come with a proven experienced team.Nguyen Tien Minh.

Seven squads from around the country will participate in the annual tournament in a round robin for the title. The winning team will take a cash prize of VND60 million (US$3,400).

Teams will compete following the Sudirman rule, which requires each head-to-head match to include the men's and women's singles, doubles and mixed doubles.

"This is the debut badminton event of 2009, which is part of the preparation for the Southeast Asian Games in Laos this December. As a rule, participating teams will send their best athletes. Each player may compete in two events of singles and doubles," said vice chairman and general secretary of the Viet Nam Badminton Federation (VBF), Le Thanh Sang.

"Most of the teams are ready for the championship with top form athletes who have been training abroad for months," Sang told at press conference yesterday.

 

Facebook

Twitter

Google Plus

Replays: World Champs 2014

playbutton-2014-square-world-championships

Watch Replays

Related Badminton News

  • Recent News
  • Popular
Saina Nehwal, PV Sindhu hope for medal in Asian Games

Incheon: Led by Saina Nehwal, PV Sindhu and Parupalli Kashya

Indonesia aims two golds at Asian Games

Incheon: Indonesia is targeting two gold medals from its men

Carolina Marin Receives Sport Merit Royal Order

Madrid: The winner of 2014 BWF Badminton World Championships

Carolina Marin Receives Sport Merit Royal Order

Madrid: The winner of 2014 BWF Badminton World Championships

Video: Badminton is the most "dangerous" sport on earth

Hanoi: Thanks to the quick work of a match referee, no-one w

The love story of Derek Wong and Vanessa Neo

By Cheryl Tay The love story of Singapore badminton players

Recommended Videos

  • 2014 India Open - Badminton Videos
  • 2014 Malaysia Open - Badminton Videos
  • 2014 Singapore Open - Badminton Videos
  • 2013 India Open - Badminton Videos
  • 2014 Korea Open - Badminton Videos
  • 2014 All England - Badminton Videos
  • 2013 World Championships - Badminton Videos
  • 2013 Denmark Open - Badminton Videos
  • 2013 Japan Open - Badminton Videos
  • 2013 World Superseries Finals - Badminton Videos
  • 2013 Hong Kong Open - Badminton Videos
  • 2013 Indonesia Open - Badminton Videos
Previous Next