Latest Badminton News and Articles

Chong Wei may get a break, thanks to injury (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 11 November 2013
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 595

KUALA LUMPUR: World No. 1 singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei’s participation in all international tournaments until the end of the year is now on hold after an old injury returned to haunt him.

The 31-year-old Chong Wei is slated to participate in the China Open starting on Wednesday in Shanghai, followed by the Hong Kong Open from Nov 19-24. He is also expected to take part in the BWF’s World Super Series Finals in Kuala Lumpur from Dec 10-15.

The pain on his ankle is causing Chong Wei discomfort. Lee Chong Wei (right) seen here being comforted by China's Lin Dan after the former suffered serious cramping in the final of the World Championships in August, may finally get some much needed rest as a niggling ankle injury may see him skip the final three tournaments of the year.

“I feel the throbbing pain in the same ankle area which I injured during the Thomas Cup Finals (in Wuhan) last year. It is affecting me during training,” said Chong Wei.

“It has been a hectic year for me and I think I am finally feeling the pinch. Maybe I have pushed myself too hard and this may have put a lot of strain on my ankle.”

Read more ...
 

Coach Paulus quits BAM (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 11 November 2013
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 594

KUALA LUMPUR: It is not even one year but Indonesia’s Paulus Firman has quit as Malaysia’s badminton coach.

On Thursday, the soft-spoken Paulus, who joined Malaysia’s stable as a coach in January this year, said that he had submitted his resignation letter to the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) at the end of October.

Paulus would have loved to continue coaching but some family problems back home in Jakarta has forced him to review his status with BAM. He will serve out his contract until the end of this month before returning to Indonesia. Coach Paulus Firman (right) giving instructions to Tan Wee Kiong (left) and Goh V Shem in a file photo. Paulus will be returning home to Indonesia because of family problems.

“It is just unfortunate that I have to leave. I have handed in my resignation letter. I have to put the interest of my family first and that is the only reason behind my decision,” said Paulus, who was a women’s doubles coach with the All-Indonesia Badminton Association (PBSI) prior to his arrival in Malaysia.

Read more ...
 

Badminton trial matches on anvil

Category: Badminton News
Published: 07 November 2013
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 626

Chandigarh Badminton Association will conduct trial matches in the junior (U-17, U-19) and senior mixed doubles categories on November 14 and 16 at Panjab University badminton Hall. While the trial matches for junior mixed double event in the U-17 and U-19 categories will be held on November 14, the trial matches for the senior mixed double event will be held on November 16. Interested and eligible players can send their entries on or before November 12 up to 5 pm to Surinder Mahajan, chief technical advisor, Chandigarh Badminton Association, at the Panjab University Badminton Hall. Also, shuttlers from Chandigarh must send their entries for participation in qualifying matches in any national championships or national ranking tournament in any age group to the general secretary of the association three days before the last date for the receipt of entries by Badminton Association of India.

Chess meet on anvil

Chess Specific, Mohali will organise Mohali District Chess Championship under the aegis of Punjab State Chess Association at Gurukul World School, Sector 69, Mohali from November 16 to 17. The event will be played in Under-7, Under-11, Under-15, Under-19 and senior categories (both boys and girls). The last date for registration for the event is November 12 while registration with late fee will be accepted till November 14. Interested players can enrol at www.chessspecific.in and call at 8591289001 for any queries. The top ten players in the senior category will represent Mohali in the upcoming Punjab-B State Chess Championship.

Read more ...
 

Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng team up again for HK Open (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 07 November 2013
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 547

PETALING JAYA: World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei should not have it too tough in the China Open (Nov 12-17) and Hong Kong Open (Nov 19-24).

In the draw released for the Hong Kong meet on Wednesday, the 31-year-old Chong Wei, who succumbed to fatigue in the recent Denmark and French Opens, will meet Indian youngster K. Srikanth in the first round.

An expected win could see him face compatriot Chong Wei Feng, provided the world No. 17 gets past Sho Sasaki of Japan in the first round.Four-time world champions Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng are back together for the HK Open, after being split up and paired with younger team-mates.

Denmark’s Jan O Jorgensen and China’s Du Pengyu await Chong Wei in the quarter-finals and semi-finals respectively.

Jorgensen, who bagged his first Super Series title recently at the French meet, could provide some stiff resistance for Chong Wei.

The tall Dane came close in his home tournament, pushing Chong Wei to three games but lost the mental battle.

Read more ...
 

Disgruntled Zulfadli walks out during match (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 07 November 2013
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 572

PETALING JAYA: Former world junior champion Zulfadli Zulkiffli was crying foul after walking out in the second round of the Korean Open GP Gold in Jeonju City on Wednesday.

The 20-year-old was upset over the poor quality of refereeing in his match against Korean shuttler Han Ki-hoon and decided he had had enough after trailing 19-21, 10-15.Zulfadli Zulkiffli in a file photo. He walked out of his second round match against Korean shuttler Han Ki-hoon after receiving a total of five bad calls in two sets, complaining of poor refereeing.

“I wasn’t injured ... but it’s not possible to play at all when the umpire, service judge and linesmen are all Korean,” said a distraught Zulfadli, who is not under the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) programme.

“In the first game I already had three bad calls against me and then in the second, I was given two more bad calls.

“When I tapped the shuttlecock at the net, I was called for a fault but when my opponent did the same there was no fault at all.

Read more ...
 

Facebook

Twitter

Google Plus

Replays: Malaysia Open 2016

Badminton Videos for 2016 malaysia open

Watch Replays

Related Badminton News

Recommended badminton news for you