Latest Badminton News and Articles

Fighting badminton players make public apology (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 29 July 2013
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 410

The two brawling Badminton players have come face-to-face again, but this time to apologise.Bodin Issara lunging at his ex-partner Maneepong Jongjit and chasing him around the court, then onto a neighboring court before repeatedly punching him and kicking him on the ground.

 

Bondin Issara and former doubles partner Meepong Jongjit appeared together in Bangkok to shake hands and say sorry to all of Thailand for their behaviour at the Canada Open.Bondin Issara and former doubles partner Meepong Jongjit appeared together in Bangkok to shake hands and say sorry to all of Thailand for their behaviour at the Canada Open

While it didn't help them avoid bans from the Thai Badminton Association, they're hoping it will lead to leniency from the international federation who are still deciding on further sanctions.

 

Badminton goes bad

Category: Badminton News
Published: 29 July 2013
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 570

 

A sheer lack of self control was displayed for all to see and sent shock waves through badminton fans when, instead of the Canada Open 2013 men's doubles final in Vancouver, we witnessed punches and kicks between Thais Maneepong "A" Jongjit and Bodin "Art" Issara. It was later reported that A received five stitches to his ear and both were disqualified from the game by the match official.

Opponents Bodin and Maneepong unleashed furious blows on each other's torso in a manner that seemed clearly about settling personal scores. The embarrassing incident has left the reputation of Thai badminton players in tatters, to put it lightly.

The former Olympic partners, who reached the quarter-finals last year, parted ways when Bodin announced his retirement earlier this year. He made an about-turn a few days later, and since has been paired with players other than Maneepong.

Read more ...
 

Lee Chong Wei wins Indonesia Open title (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 29 July 2013
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 484

World number one Lee Chong Wei easily defeated Germany's Marc Zwiebler on Sunday to win the Indonesia Open for a fifth time.

 

JAKARTA: World number one Lee Chong Wei easily defeated Germany's Marc Zwiebler on Sunday to win the Indonesia Open for a fifth time.

The Malaysian ace hardly broke a sweat against the unseeded Zwiebler in the men's singles final in Jakarta, winning the match 21-15, 21-14 in just 40 minutes.

Lee dominated from start to finish, with a string of smashes which proved too difficult for his left-handed opponent to return.

"As I had expected, it was a very hard match against Lee Chong Wei," Zwiebler said.

"He was not that kind of player who will give any mercy if I made weak shots. He was always in control. I have tried everything I can."

Lee praised his opponent: "Zwiebler played well today. He showed a lot of progress."

The 30-year-old said he was "very happy" to win the title, which has prize money of $52,500, for the fifth time.Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei bites his medal after defeating Marc Zwiebler of Germany during their final match at the Indonesia Open badminton championship at Istora stadium in Jakarta, Indonesia.

Read more ...
 

Chong Wei Sole Survivor At Indonesian Open

Category: Badminton News
Published: 14 June 2013
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 727

KUALA LUMPUR, June 14  -- Malaysia's badminton men's singles number one player Datuk Lee Chong Wei is the sole survivor of the national squad at the ongoing Indonesian Open that is being held a the Istora Gelora Bung Karno Stadium, Jakarta.

In the quarterfinals today, Chong Wei, the top seed, despatched off Boonsak Ponsana of Thailand in straight sets of 21-10 and 21-7 to book his place in the semifinals Saturday.

Awaiting him is Indonesia's Dionysius Hayom Rumbaka who scored an upset victory against third seeded Du Pengyu of China in a three setter, winning in 21-15, 15-21 and 21-9.

Malaysia's hopes to see more national players advancing were dashed when the mixed doubles pair of Chan Peng Soon and Goh Liu Ying (ranked 5th in the world) crashed out 15-21 and 16-21 the hosts' pair of Ahmad Tontowi and Liliyana Natsir.

Malaysia's world ranked number three men's doubles pair, Koo Kien Kiat and Tan Boon Heong fell by the wayside in the second round Thursday.

Malaysia did not field any women singles or doubles teams this time around.

 

Chong Wei survives scare in Indonesia Open first round (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 14 June 2013
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 661

PETALING JAYA: World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei survived a nerve-wracking encounter against China’s Wang Zhengming before moving into the second round of the Indonesian Open in Jakarta.

The 30-year-old Chong Wei, seeking his fourth title of the year – after the Korean, Malaysian and India Opens – won 20-22, 21-4, 22-20 yesterday.

There was also some good news for the troubled world No. 3 pair of Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong when they defeated Indonesia’s Yonathan Suryatama Dasuki-Hendra Gunawan 21-15, 21-11 in the first round.Hard fight: Lee Chong Wei beat China’s Wang Zhengming 20-22, 21-4, 22-20 in the first round of the Indonesian Open in Jakarta yesterday.

Their reward is a second round date with another Indonesian pair – Alvent Yulianto-Markis Kido.

The wretched form of world No. 7 Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong continued as they lost to the scratch Indonesian pair of Andrei Adistia-Gideon Markus Fernaldi despite taking the first game.

Read more ...
 

Facebook

Twitter

Google Plus

Replays: China Open 2015

2015 China Open Badminton Videos

Watch Replays

Related Badminton News

Recommended badminton news for you