Latest Badminton News and Articles - Latest Badminton News Articles , Badminton Rules, Badminton Strategies for Singles and Doubles, Badminton History,Badminton Photos!

Latest Badminton News and Articles

Swiss visa woes for Rexy (pic)

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 12 March 2009
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 941

NATIONAL doubles coach Rexy Mainaky's frustrating experience in the All England last week got worse when he was prevented, through no fault of his, from joining his players at the Swiss Open when he was barred from travelling to Switzerland. Rexy was not allowed to make the trip from London to Basel as the Indonesian did not have a visa to travel to Switzerland although he has United Kingdom permanent resident status. Wong Pei Tty (right) and Chin Eei Hui have an easy first round tie against Petra Hofmanova-Sarka Krizkova of the Czech Republic.

Rexy said he wasn't aware of the change in rule as he had previously used both his Indonesian passport and his United Kingdom PR to travel to Switzerland.

"I was not allowed to travel because I didn't have the Shangen visa. The UK PR doesn't require a visa (to go to Switzerland) and there was no problem last year," said Rexy, who arrived back in Kuala Lumpur yesterday.

 

Rexy: Chong Wei a good role model for our doubles stars

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 12 March 2009
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 456

PETALING JAYA: The determination of seasoned campaigners Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng of China, the never-say-die attitude of Mathias Boe-Carsten Mogensen of Den­mark and the fighting displays of South Korean youngsters Hwang Ji-man-Han Sang-hoon were the hallmarks of the All-England men’s doubles competition.

But national doubles chief coach Rexy Mainaky said that the Malaysian doubles players did not have to look far to be inspired and motivated by others.

He said that there was a good role model in their own backyard and challenged his players to be as committed as national number one singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei.

 

ALL-ENGLAND/Birmingham 2009: No more world-class men's doubles in Malaysia

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 12 March 2009
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 438

THE truth may hurt but it is a fact that Malaysia can no more boast of having world-class men’s doubles pairs anymore.

If the performances of Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and Zakry Latif-Fairuzizuan Tazari are used as a yardstick to determine the depth in the national squad, it is clear indication that Malaysia do not have reliable match winners at the moment.

Kien Keat-Boon Heong have become so inconsistent that depending on them for major honours is wishful thinking as their confidence and performance have taken a massive plunge.

There is no sign of Kien Keat-Boon Heong improving in the near future and after losing tamely to Denmark’s Mathias Boe-Carsten Mogensen in the quarter-finals of the All England, redemption in the Swiss Open looks unlikely.

 

All England Troubles Follow Shuttlers to Swiss Open

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 12 March 2009
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 471

Indonesia’s European hangover continued on Wednesday.

In keeping with their disappointing results at the All England, the country’s shuttlers continued bowing out early at the Swiss Open Super Series, with half of Indonesia’s entries taking the exit door in the first round at Basel’s St. Jakobshall.

The Indonesian Badminton Association, or PBSI, set a quarterfinal target for all of its national shuttlers before they left for England. Lius Pongoh, the PBSI head of player development, said players who fell short of that mark would undergo a six-week retraining program at the national camp before they’re allowed to compete in other tournaments.

“So I think there will be a lot of national team players that will not compete at the Asian Championship next month,” Lius told state-run news agency Antara, referring to the tournament that will be held on April 7-12 in Suwon, South Korea.

Men’s singles shuttler Simon Santoso duplicated his All England first-round exit, losing 21-12, 14-21, 21-19 to Wong Choong Hann. The story was the same in the women’s singles, where Adrianti Firdasari fell 17-21, 21-19, 21-12 to No. 4 seed Pi Hongyan of France and Pia Zebadiah Bernadet lost 21-15, 21-15 to Japan’s Megumi Taruno.

Men’s doubles was not immune, either. Muhammad Ahsan and Bona Septano, who reached the All England quarterfinals, suffered a two-set loss to China, while Yonathan Suryatama Dasuki and Rian Sukmawan also fell in two sets to Japan.

The country’s main hope for titles now rests in mixed and women’s doubles. Top seeds Nova Widianto and Liliyana Natsir reached the second round, as did Devin Lahardi Fitriawan and Lita Nurlita. Both pairs’ second-round matches finished after press time.

 
Comment (0) Hits: 471

Beng Hong gets two chances more to prove worth in national team (pic)

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
Category: Badminton News
Published: 12 March 2009
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 700

PETALING JAYA: The writing is on the wall for shuttler Kuan Beng Hong. His days in the national team are numbered after failing to make the main draw of the Swiss Open in Basel on Tuesday.

Beng Hong started with a 21-19, 21-10 win over France’s Mathieu Lo but stumbled to an 11-21, 21-14, 15-21 defeat by Lithuania’s Kestutis Navickas in the final qualifying match. He also failed to make the grade from the All-England qualifying tournament last week, losing to Anup Sridhar of India.Writing on the wall: Kuan Beng Hong has been given an ultimatum to buck up fast.

And his latest performance against Navickas, who is the only badminton player from his country registered with the Badminton World Federation, has not gone down well with singles coach Misbun Sidek.

“Beng Hong was not feeling well at the All-England but that was a week ago. It is a disappointing show from him when I expected him to do better than this,” said Misbun.