Latest Badminton News and Articles

Business as usual for doubles coach Cheh Chang (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 11 November 2013
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 431

PETALING JAYA: National doubles coach Pang Cheh Chang is confident that Paulus Firman’s impending departure will not have any immediate effect on the doubles squad.

Indonesian Paulus, who only joined the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) 10 months ago, tendered his resignation at the end of last month, citing family problems.

He will serve out his contract until the end of this month.Hoon Thien How (left) and Tan Wee Kiong in action at the World Champs in China in August. They're back there with Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong for the China Open which starts on Tuesday.

Cheh Chang, however, believes that once he has sorted out the doubles pairings with Paulus, there will not be any more changes ... at least until the BAM bring in a new coach.

“I have this programme that I planned with Paulus and it involves all the new pairs we have on hand ... so there will not be any changes for now,” said Cheh Chang.

Read more ...
 

Last Malaysian Iskandar slain at Korean GP Gold (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 11 November 2013
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 361

KUALA LUMPUR: It was all over for Malaysia in the Korean Open Grand Prix Gold when Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin went down fighting in the men’s singles quarter-finals in Seoul on Friday.

The 21-year-old Iskandar went down to 2009 world junior champion Tian Houwei of China 21-13, 9-21, 14-21 in a one-hour energy-sapping match. Iskandar Zulkarnain Zainuddin in a file photo. He went down fighting in the Korean Open GP Gold men's singles quarter-finals, losing to Tian Houwei of China 21-13, 9-21, 14-21.

Iskandar had hoped for a timely boost ahead of the Myanmar SEA Games with a good showing in the GP Gold but it looks like he still has some catching up to do in order to make his mark at the international tournament.

Read more ...
 

Finally, instant review for badminton players (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 11 November 2013
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 420

KUALA LUMPUR: World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei gave a thumbs-up to the Badminton World Federation (BWF) for finally agreeing to implement instant reviews, which allows a player to challenge line calls.

The BWF on Friday announced that the instant reviews would be used at the World Super Series Finals in Kuala Lumpur from Dec 10-15.

“Finally, they are doing it! BWF have been talking about it since January and they had even experimented using it in several tournaments. I am glad that they are putting it into practice at last,” said Chong Wei. A thing of the past? World No.1 Lee Chong Wei seen here disputing a line call in a tournament in 2010 in this picture. BWF will finally implement the instant review system allowing players to challenge line calls, starting at the World Super Series Finals in December.

“Players have been questioning the quality of line judging for some time. Now, we are taking the first step to arrest this problem,” he said.

BWF wanted to introduce it at the Indonesian Open this year but then decided to postpone it.

On Friday, the BWF released a statement saying that they would officially use the instant reviews at the World Super Series Finals, which would allow a player to challenge line calls twice during a match.

Read more ...
 

Would Soon Kit or Kim Hock return to BAM? (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 11 November 2013
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 575

KUALA LUMPUR: Former internationals Cheah Soon Kit or Yap Kim Hock may be a good option for the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) to replace Paulus Firman as the national doubles coach.

Paulus, who quit the national team due to family problems, will leave for Indonesia by the end of this month.

Without him, Pang Cheh Chang is the only coach left to man a total of 24 doubles players, including the recent recruits from the Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS) who have completed their Form Five studies. Would former national chief coach Yap Kim Hock (right) or ex-doubles chief coach Cheah Soon Kit return to BAM to fill the void left by Paulus' abrupt resignation?

On Friday, BAM secretary Ng Chin Chai said that they would have to find a replacement soon and the coaching and training committee is tasked with identifying the candidate.

Read more ...
 

Chong Wei may get a break, thanks to injury (pic)

Category: Badminton News
Published: 11 November 2013
Written by BadmintonPlanet.com Hits: 430

KUALA LUMPUR: World No. 1 singles shuttler Lee Chong Wei’s participation in all international tournaments until the end of the year is now on hold after an old injury returned to haunt him.

The 31-year-old Chong Wei is slated to participate in the China Open starting on Wednesday in Shanghai, followed by the Hong Kong Open from Nov 19-24. He is also expected to take part in the BWF’s World Super Series Finals in Kuala Lumpur from Dec 10-15.

The pain on his ankle is causing Chong Wei discomfort. Lee Chong Wei (right) seen here being comforted by China's Lin Dan after the former suffered serious cramping in the final of the World Championships in August, may finally get some much needed rest as a niggling ankle injury may see him skip the final three tournaments of the year.

“I feel the throbbing pain in the same ankle area which I injured during the Thomas Cup Finals (in Wuhan) last year. It is affecting me during training,” said Chong Wei.

“It has been a hectic year for me and I think I am finally feeling the pinch. Maybe I have pushed myself too hard and this may have put a lot of strain on my ankle.”

Read more ...
 

Facebook

Twitter

Google Plus

Replays: China Open 2015

2015 China Open Badminton Videos

Watch Replays

Related Badminton News

Recommended badminton news for you